This week in Vampire Month we have Scarlett Flame who is here to suffer the painful interrogations of the Vampire month interview. Scarlett is a Manchester based writer who dabbles in many genres from Steampunk to Paranormal but all with a sexy, erotic twist. She is also the organiser of the Manchester Author signing and gig event that takes place every year in August. Details here: Manchester Author event and gigManchester Author event and gig
1) What is the earliest memory you have of writing? What did you write about?
This is a hard one to answer really. I always kept a diary or journal from a young age so that is probably my earliest memory of writing anything significant. It was just about what happened for day to day in my life.
2) When did you decide to become a professional writer? Why did you take this step?
I made the decision in 2013 after a discussion with friends that I used to chat to on Twitter. They were, for the most part writers and authors. on evening my friend John was talking about a book he was writing and I happened to mention that I had been writing secretly. I actually kept the writing in my bottom drawer of my chest of drawers in my bedroom.
He said to send me what I had written so I send him the first chapter of a story. A paranormal Steampunk story and he said it was pretty good and worth pursuing. Between about five of them they then came up with my author name. I loved to write so I thought, why not give it a shot.
3) What would you consider to be your greatest strength as a writer? What about your greatest weakness? How do you overcome this weakness?
My greatest strength I think is my ability to communicate with others and drive a story forward. My greatest weakness is procrastination. I am easily distracted. Like the dog off Up that can be distracted by the word and thought of squirrels.
4) Tell us about the place where you live. Have you ever derived any inspiration from your home or from anywhere you have visited?
The place I live is a very small village on the outskirts of Manchester. It is close to moss lands and very rural. Despite being close to the East Lancashire Road. I live in a pretty mining cottage.
In my steampunk book i mention a number of places including Wales where most of my family live and my latest book is set in Whitby. Lots of inspiration came from a holiday there and witnessing the most amazing sunset with the abbey ruins as a backdrop. In fact the cover of the book shows the view I had that evening.
I derive inspiration from here and the many places that I have visited or my family has lived.
5) Which book, if any, would you consider to be your greatest influence and inspiration?
There are a number but I think Dracula was very inspirational. I love a good vampire novel
6) What drove you to write about Vampires?
I simply love vampires in their many guises. Dracula, From Dusk till Dawn and of course Twilight.
7) What do you think is the attraction for Vampire fiction? Why is it such a popular topic?
I think vampires and sex are synonymous. Who could resist a sexy vampire tale of love, lust and blood?
8) In a fight between all the greatest Vampires of fiction, who do you think would come out on top?
I think Dracula would have to come out on top.
9) What about in some other contest such as sexiness or dress sense? Who would win that one?
Hmmm the Vampire Louis has to win on sexiness from Anne Rice’s The Vampire Lestat. I love the books by Anne Rice. As for dress sense that would have to be Dracula and his over the top dark cloaks.
10) How well do you think one of your characters would fare against the winner(s) of the above?
I think my vampires would fare well against any other vampires as they are superstrong, fast and have other powers too.
11) Tell us the basic premise behind your latest novel.
The story begins with a young woman visiting Whitby. Visiting her grandma in fact, on the outskirts of Whitby not too far away from the ancient Abbey. There she finally meets the resident vampire, Xander.
This is the story about how their relationship progresses and about the heroine – Ellenor, finding out that her life is about to change in ways beyond her imagination.
In magical ways and the ways of the Lifestyle. The Lifestyle being that of BDSM, bondage and spankings.
Very much 50 shades meets Twilight in some respects.